I'm Alive (Barely)

Ugh, you guys. I'm so sorry. You know the drill: some months are busier than others in academia, and until January I'll be very busy indeed. Here are my responsibilities for the next few months:
  • Finish my dissertation (I'm defending in December!)
  • Teach five overcrowded sections of a science-fiction survey course
  • Go on the completely fucked academic job market for the third year in a row
  • Revise and resubmit my third peer-reviewed article
  • Figure out how I'm going to support myself next semester
  • Cook meals, exercise, maintain relationships with other humans
As you can imagine, this leaves me with almost no time to blog about beauty. Hell, I barely even have time to read about beauty. While I believe that breaks from work are important, blogging is a special case because it's yet another kind of writing. It's very different from academic writing, of course, but it uses the same parts of the brain and demands the same kind of energy, and that energy is finite. After a day of dissertating, I don't usually feel like producing more words, even about lipstick. And if I do find it in me to start a post, the guilt soon creeps in: shouldn't I be using this precious writing energy to revise my teaching statement or start another postdoc application? As a result, I've opened five post drafts in the past two weeks but haven't written more than a few sentences in most of them. So, you guessed it: I'm going on yet another quasi-hiatus. (At what point does the hiatus become the blog? How can we know the dancer from the dance?) I'll still try to post when I get the chance, but it probably won't be more than a couple of times per month, if that.

I'll leave you with the best makeup look I've seen recently, from k-pop chanteuse IU's equally great song "Last Night Story," a '60s-style adaptation of a track from 1988 (got that?). I'd recreate this look for a post if I had time, but screenshots are all I can manage right now:


So good, right? I felt more excited about makeup after watching this video than I had in a while.


Until next time! I'm pretty active on Instagram (though less than I'd like, these days), if you want to keep up with me there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!