Low-Buy 2017 Progress Report: January

Well, we somehow got through January, even if we spent the last third of the month refreshing various news sites in growing horror. And now it's time for my first low-buy progress report of 2017! A reminder of the low-buy goals I've set for myself this year:
  • No more than two makeup products per month, excluding replacements
  • No new nail polish in the first half of the year
And that's it for the consumption part of my beauty resolutionsthe more I make, the more I'll forget, right? So let's see how well I did in January:

New Makeup:

L-R: The Ultimatte, Nudist Peach, Missy and Fierce.

Milani Amore Matte Metallic Lip Creme in 15 The Ultimatte: $8
Wet n Wild Liquid Catsuit Lipsticks in Nudist Peach and Missy and Fierce: $5 each
Total: $18

New Skincare:



Skinfood Super Nut mask, My Beauty Diary Damask Rose mask, and Tosowoong Propolis mask (already used): $7ish total
Etude House My Beauty Tool blotting papers: $4
Samples: COSRX Ultimate Nourishing Rice Mask and Snail Mucin Essence; Cure Natural Aqua Gel
Total: $11

Replacements: 


Bioré Aqua Rich Watery Essence x2: $30
Revlon Volume + Length mascara: $7
Total: $37

Total for January: $66

Reflections: Okay, so I bought three new pieces of makeup. Three liquid lipsticks, yet: who am I? Someone who increasingly values long wear in her lip colors, I guess. The Milani Amore Matte liquid lipstick was a pre-interview impulse buy. Unfortunately, it has the same drying formula and awkwardly large applicator as the non-metallic Amore Matte I reviewed back in 2015, but the pigmentation is much more even and that metallic purple is gorgeous. Then I tried Wet n Wild Nudist Peach and liked the formula so much that I had to go back for Missy and Fierce, which turns out to be the best liquid lipstick I've ever tried. Seriously. I wish the Liquid Catsuit lineup had more interesting colors, but I suppose that's a good thing for my budget. I'm not too bothered about having gone over my two-piece limit (it's not a hard limit, more of a number to keep in mind), but I'll try harder to stick to it in February.

When I visited San Francisco in December, my Bioré sunscreen was out of stock at the store where I'd last bought it, and I couldn't find it anywhere else before I left. By the end of January, I was down to the bottom of my current tube and dreading having to order more from Japan. So when I visited a friend in New York last week, I made a trip to oo35mm in Chinatown, and they had it! And I bought two tubes because I'm too much of an agoraphobe to brave the chaos of Canal St. more than twice a year.

By the way, I've created a running document to keep track of the lipsticks I wear in 2017. Some people use spreadsheets, but I'm too lazy and low-tech for that shit. I just copied and pasted my lipstick inventory into a Word document, and whenever I wear a lipstick I put an asterisk next to it, like so:


This document is immensely helpful for visualizing my collection at a glance and pinpointing shades that I've been neglecting. (Left to my own devices, I naturally wear my newer lipsticks over and over.) It's also interesting to see patterns emerging: as you can see, I wore red lipstick ten out of 31 days in January, which is very unusual for me. I attribute my newfound love of red to feeling angry on both micro (academia) and macro (Trump) levels pretty much constantly.

Current Wishlist:

MAC Matte Lipstick in Whirl ($17)

Source

A year and a half after its release (my usual delay when it comes to trends), I've become fascinated with the plum-pink-gray-brown that is Whirl. It's the kind of shade that could easily go wrong on me, though, so I'd like to try it on before buying. This is no guarantee that I won't order it late one night after submitting a postdoc application, but I hope I do the responsible thing.

2. NARS Blush in Threesome ($30)

Source

This pale lavender-pink blush (cooler-toned and lighter than it looks above) is part of the limited-edition Pop Goes the Easel collection, which features three blushes, three Sheer Pop Multiples, and four Velvet Lip Glides. The collection is already available in Asia and the UK, but for some reason won't be released in the US until March 1. However, I have the inside hookup: my boyfriend, who lives in England and loves me enough that he's willing to visit his local Selfridges and ask the NARS vendors if they have Threesome blush in stock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!