Drugstore Liquid Lipsticks, Part 2: Wet n Wild Liquid Catsuit Lipsticks in Nudist Peach and Missy and Fierce

I never paid much attention to Wet n Wild until recently. They've truly stepped up their game in the past couple of years, and perhaps the best evidence for that is their new line of "Liquid Catsuit" lipsticks ($4.99 each). By the time Wet n Wild got around to creating liquid matte lipsticks, every sane variation on the phrase "liquid matte" had already been taken, but I appreciate their creativity and their commitment: there's even a sexy lady in a catsuit on the tubes. Personally, though, I think of catsuits as shiny instead of matte. Am I wrong? The word "catsuit" makes me imagine a Bond girl from the Age of Aquarius, clad in gold lame or black patent leather. Regardless, kudos to Wet n Wild for coming up with a cute and memorable, and only slightly objectifying, name.

There are 13 Liquid Catsuit shades, most of them pretty basic: you've got your beige nude, peach, cool red, warm red, fuchsia, etc. I picked up two shades at my local Rite Aid: Nudist Peach, a muted peach, and Missy and Fierce, a vivid blue-based red.


Many reviewers have noted the similarity between the Liquid Catsuit tubes and Jeffree Star's Velour Liquid Lipstick tubes. Some people have insinuated that this is a case of plagiarism, but I really don't think it is. My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that most smaller brands choose from packaging options that already exist, instead of making their own packaging in their own factories. So yes, Wet n Wild and Jeffree Star (and Dose of Colors, for that matter) seem to have identical tubes. But this isn't a copyright issue unless Jeffree Star patented his own tubeand if he had, you'd better believe we'd already have heard about Wet n Wild's chicanery in multiple Jeffree Star tweets, YouTube videos, and Snapchat stories. In any case, Wet n Wild chose wisely, because the bottles are attractive and hefty with an extra catch to keep the lid closed. The applicator is a small, very slanted doefoot resembling a pointe shoe. Of all the liquid-lip applicators I've tried, this one is the most effective in achieving a precise shape.


Nudist Peach is the shade I bought first (I liked it so much that I had to go back for Missy and Fierce).  Unlike many peach lipsticks on the market, it's not white-based or bright, but it's not quite the brownish "dirty peach" that Kylie has made famous. On my skintone, it's certainly more "peach" than "nudist," but it's browner and softer than most other peach lipsticks I've tried. I thought it might resemble Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Streak, but Streak is much brighter and pinker, while Nudist Peach leans more orange. L-R: Milani Matte Naked, Glossier Cake, Nudist Peach, Urban Decay Streak:


Oddly, Nudist Peach looks a bit brighter on my lips than it does in the tube or in arm swatches. I was hoping for a subtler peach, but oh well:



Of the two Liquid Catsuits I own, Nudist Peach has the more problematic formula. It looks patchy after one coat, so I have to fill in the lighter places with a second coat. Unfortunately, adding a second coat makes the dried-down lipstick slightly tacky. Not sticky, certainly, and not as tacky as a NYX Liquid Suede, but not perfectly dry either. This doesn't bother me too much, but I know it bothers some people a great deal! The formula is a little drying: in terms of the other formulas I've tried, it's less drying than the ColourPop Ultra Matte lipsticks, but more drying than the Sephora Creme Lip Stain lipsticks (though the one I have doesn't dry down fully). Nudist Peach doesn't transfer onto cups or straws, and I don't have to touch it up until I eat.

Peach lipstick always makes me want to put together a vintagey face, despite my continuing inability to draw a cat eye. Yesterday I took inspiration from this Brigitte Bardot tutorial by Karima McKimmie (too bad Bardot is a racist shithead): a simple, slightly messy cool-toned eye with a subtle warm lip. For eyeshadow, I used two shades from the Urban Decay Naked2 Basics palette: Skimp (light beige) all over the lid and Frisk (light taupe) in the crease. I lined my upper lashlines with Kiko black pencil eyeliner on a liner brush, then smoked out those lines with Undone, an off-black from Naked2 Basics, on the same brush. I also used Sleek Life's a Peach blush (more than usual, concentrated on the apples of my cheeks) and ColourPop Lunch Money highlighter. I really liked how the look came out! Peach is such a youthful, innocent-looking color, isn't it?


A better look at the eyes:


Nudist Peach is a good liquid lipstick, but Missy and Fierce is the best liquid lipstick I've ever tried. Holy shit, you guys. It dries down completely, it's in-fucking-delible, it's not drying, and it's $4.99. WTF is this magic. I've been spamming everyone on Reddit's makeup communities with my love for this shade.

Okay, let's calm down. Missy and Fierce is a cool-neutral red, essentially the liquid matte version of my favorite red lipstick-lipstick, NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Mysterious Red. L-R: NARS Cruella, NARS Mysterious Red, Missy and Fierce (not fully dried down), Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in 69:


Missy and Fierce's formula requires just one thin coat for opacity, and it's not tacky at all once dried down. Instead of highlighting my lip lines and flakes, as Nudist Peach unfortunately does, it somehow blurs them into near-invisibility. Yes, my liquid-lipstick application skills are still a work in progress:


And here's a lazy-ass face with some Naked2 Basics eyeshadows and Illamasqua Zygomatic blush. Why does my lighter hair look gray? I swear it's not.


I have dupes for most of the other Liquid Catsuit shades, but I do have my eye on Coral Corruption, a muted coral pink, and Nudie Patootie, a greige nude that will probably make me look like death. For now, though, I'm going to enjoy the shades I have and thank the makeup gods that the drugstore finally carries a decent matte liquid lipstick formula. Well done, Wet n Wild!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!