The Great Lipstick Inventory of 2016

Wow, it feels like it's been forever since I last posted here. And indeed it has been forever—well, 11 days in Earth time, but forever in blog time. March has been a trying month so far, due to various academic stuff that I won't get into here because this is a beauty blog and not a bitch-about-grad-school blog, but this week is spring break and I'm trying to be aggressively nice to myself. Yesterday I took the train into New York for brunch with a friend I've known for almost ten years (!), and we ate delicious lemon-ricotta pancakes and speculated about the feasibility of burning down the academy. Then we went to the Upper West Side Sephora, conveniently located a few blocks from the brunch place. My friend bought a Bite Amuse Bouche lipstick in Sangria, a rich fuchsia, and I bought my first Marc Jacobs lipstick in So Sofia, a pinky-red coral. (I tried on a few pink and coral Amuse Bouches as well, but none of them flattered me. It was weird.) And then I got an iced coffee and a haircut in Brooklyn, and wandered around Williamsburg enjoying the early-spring sunshine, and eventually made my way back to Penn Station before the city could suck more money out of my bank account. If there's a better way to spend a March afternoon, don't tell me; I'm not sure I want to know.


Today I sorted out a couple of academic issues that had been hanging over my head for a while, and now I'm drinking a gin and tonic and blogging, so life could be a lot worse. I'm especially excited for this post, since I've been planning it for months: an inventory of all my lip colors! Most of them are lipsticks, but I've included glosses and stains in my inventory because I have too few to justify a separate post. Plus, there are so many liminal formulas these days that there's no point in maintaining the stick/gloss binary. This is 2016, people! Lipstick can be liquid and matte. Gloss can be opaque and long-lasting. Open your mind.


These are all the lip colors I currently own. In the big box on the left, we have warm-toned lipsticks; in the big box on the right, cool-toned lipsticks; in the sorbet container on top, glosses, liners, and one liquid lipstick; in the sorbet container on the bottom, chubby lip crayons. The lipsticks outside the containers are the ones I'm planning to get rid of after writing this post, though a few in the containers are candidates for destashing, too.

One of my motives for doing this inventory (besides inviting you to ooh and ahh at the pretty colors with me) was to reduce my stash by at least a little. I'm not opposed on principle to large makeup collections, but I've reached the point where the size of my collection blinds me to individual productsa case of missing the trees for the forest, let's say. Of the dozens of lipsticks I've listed below, I wear maybe half regularly, and by "regularly" I mean "a couple of times a month." The others exist in a kind of limbo that reminds me of China Miéville's novel The City & the City. It's a tale of two cities that are also one: the European city-states of Besźel and Ul Qoma occupy the same geographical area. But the inhabitants of Besźel have carefully trained themselves to notice only the buildings, people, and landmarks of Besźel, and to ignore or quickly "un-see" those of Ul Qoma, whose citizens give the same treatment to Besźel. "Breaching"—that is, passing from one city to the other without going through the building at the official "border"—is a serious crime, and "breachers" are whisked off to a mysterious fate. The lipsticks I wear several times a month, such as Urban Decay Rapture and Revlon Sultry, inhabit a sort of mental Besźel: they're more visible to me, more "real," than the vaster, vaguer Ul Qoma of my neglected shades. This inventory is my attempt to breach.

A few notes before we begin:
  •  I believe in thoughtful, careful consumption, but I have no interest in purging my collection for the sake of some abstract ideal of minimalism. I wear MAC Candy Yum-Yum, for instance, just a few days a year, but I'd rather enjoy the hell out of it during those few days than get rid of it while it's still perfectly good.
  • Just as I have some liminal lip formulas, I have several liminal colors that could easily be slotted into two or even three different categories. Is NARS 413 BLKR a red, a brown, or a plum? Yes! And also no! In such cases, I've been pragmatic: I can fit only eight or nine swatches onto my forearm at one time, so I've filled out less populated categories with in-between lipsticks. I've also classified lipsticks according to the colors they turn on my lips, not their colors in the tube or in arm swatches.
  • To reflect use, I've twisted up all my lipsticks to their full extent. 
  • There are some lipsticks here that I decided to destash before I took my inventory, but I swatched them anyway because more information is better than less. After each color category, I've written up a little overview with a note of which ones I'm destashing; I'll go into greater detail about that in my next post.
  • Sorry about the weird lighting in a few of these photos. The weather has been extremely variable recently, and it's rare that I'm home to take photos during a long period of uninterrupted sunshine. Though the white balance is off, the lipsticks look pretty true to color in the photos, I promise.
  • I've put asterisks next to my current favorite shades. Sometimes I fantasize about winnowing down my collection to just those sixteen, but I know I'm so fickle that I'd end up repurchasing the missing colors anyway.
Reds (9):
  • Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in 69
  • NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella (mini)
  • NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Mysterious Red*
  • Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Fire and Ice
  • NYX Matte Lipstick in Alabama
  • Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in Across the Universe
  • NARS Semi-Matte Lipstick in 413 BLKR*
  • Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet (discontinued)
  • NARS Sheer Lipstick in Flamenco (discontinued) 
    L-R: 69, Cruella, Mysterious Red, Fire and Ice, Alabama, Across the Universe, 413 BLKR, Red Velvet, Flamenco:

      I think of myself as someone who doesn't like to wear red lipstick, yet I've somehow amassed nine, and that number doesn't even take into account the five I recently threw away or gave to friends. As you can see, I prefer dark, muted, slightly "dirty" reds to bright, clear ones. NARS 413 BLKR is the red I've worn most often in the last few months, and it's barely even a red; I have to be feeling very bold indeed before I'll consider wearing 69 or Fire and Ice. But the only red I might get rid of (though not before trying it again) is Across the Universe. Not coincidentally, it's my only liquid red. The color is flattering and the formula opaque and long-lasting, but it's so damn hard to apply the stuff evenly.

      Corals and Oranges (9):

      Revlon Moisture Stain in Barcelona Nights
      Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme in So Sofia
      Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Streak*
      Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in Vibrant Mandarin*
      Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple
      Topshop Matte Lipstick in Rio Rio
      Wet n Wild Megalast in Purty Persimmon
      Revlon Matte Balm in Mischievous (discontinued)
      NYX Butter Gloss in Peach Cobbler


      L-R: Barcelona Nights, So Sofia, Streak, Vibrant Mandarin, Candy Apple, Rio Rio, Purty Persimmon, Mischievous, Peach Cobbler:


      I also think of myself as someone who doesn't own a lot of oranges or corals, but here we are. I'm going to keep all of these except Barcelona Nights and Purty Persimmon, which are both showing signs of expiration.

      Light/Medium Pinks (5):

      MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Creme Cup
      Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Primrose
      Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Make Me Pink
      MAC Satin Lipstick in Pink Nouveau*
      Topshop Matte Lip Bullet in Plastique


      L-R: Creme Cup, Primrose, Make Me Pink, Pink Nouveau, Plastique:


      Not my favorite lipstick category, clearly, but Pink Nouveau is one of my very favorite lipsticks. I've had Make Me Pink forever and I love the color—a neutral lilac pinkbut the formula is a bit drying and has no lasting power. I might keep MMP around, though, until I find a color dupe in a better formula. Or I might throw it out because life is too short for this kind of ambivalence. I haven't worn Creme Cup in over a year, but I'll give it another chance for this spring.

      Hot Pinks and Fuchsias (8):

      Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Adorned
      Urban Decay Revolution Lipgloss in Scandal (mini, omg look how qt)
      NARS Audacious Lipstick in Angela*
      Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Fuchsia (discontinued)*
      Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in Vivid Rose
      Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow
      Revlon Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie (discontinued)
      MAC Matte Lipstick in Candy Yum-Yum


      L-R: Adorned, Scandal, Angela, Fuchsia, Vivid Rose, Cherries in the Snow, Raspberry Pie, Candy Yum-Yum:


      Closeup of Adorned (left) and Scandal:


      This category is my favorite to look at, but not my favorite to wear: the only lipsticks in this category that get regular wear are Fuchsia (my current tube is smelling a bit off, but I have a brand-new backup) and Angela. Why am I so afraid to wear Adorned out of the house? It's gorgeous, but it appears on this blog only when I'm lamenting how little attention I give it.

      Purples (9):

      Maybelline Rebel Bloom Lipstick in Lilac Flush
      NYX Round Lipstick in Castle
      NYX Butter Gloss in Raspberry Tart
      MAC Amplified Lipstick in Up the Amp*
      Maybelline Vivids Lipstick in Brazen Berry*
      NYX Intense Butter Gloss in Spice Cake
      Bite Lip Lab custom lipstick
      Milani Moisture Matte Lipstick in Matte Fearless
      & Other Stories Lip Colour in Droguet Purple


      L-R: Lilac Flush, Castle, Raspberry Tart, Up the Amp, Brazen Berry, Spice Cake, Bite custom lipstick, Matte Fearless, Droguet Purple.


      Yessss I love purple lipstick. Honestly, I'm surprisedand a little disappointedthat I don't own more. My first purple lipstick is still my favorite: MAC Up the Amp, which is almost gone after almost four years of faithful service. (I just realized that I forgot to include it in the photo, ugh. I'll have to retake that one tomorrow.) But I'm not crazy about MAC's Amplified formula, so I'll probably buy another medium purple, like Bite Spritzer or Urban Decay Bittersweet, instead of repurchasing Up the Amp. My second favorite purple is Brazen Berry: that tube looks so new because it's my second one! I was planning to get rid of NYX Castle, which I bought for my Effie Trinket costume for Halloween 2014, but it's so wonderfully weird that I just can't part with it. Plus it fits into the gray-purple lip trend that's happening right now (NARS Dominique, ColourPop Marshmallow, NYX Up the Bass...).

      Plums and Berries (9): 

      Revlon Matte Balm in Sultry*
      Topshop Matte Lip Bullet in Get Me Bodied*
      MAC Matte Lipstick in Eugenie (LE)
      Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Embellished
      Revlon Balm Stain in Crush
      YSL Rouge Pur Couture in 08 Belle de Rose
      Revlon Shine Lipstick in Plum Velour
      Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Rapture*
      Revlon Lip Butter in Sugar Plum (discontinued)


      L-R: Sultry, Get Me Bodied, Eugenie, Embellished, Crush, Belle de Rose, Plum Velour, Rapture, Sugar Plum:


      Do I need all these plums? No. Have I worn them all this past winter? Yes, except for the most expensive one. I'm attached to Belle de Rose because it was my first high-end lipstick, but it's drying and I have a nearly identical color, Get Me Bodied, in a formula I like better. I think it's time to say goodbye to BDR. I'm also tossing Plum Velour because it's been aaalmost empty for over a year now and I'm so goddamn tired of looking at it. 

      Nudes and MLBBs (8):

      Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle
      NARS Cinematic Lipstick in Last Tango (LE)
      NYX Butter Gloss in Tiramisu
      NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien (mini)
      NARS Sheer Lipstick in Dolce Vita*
      Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Nude Lust
      Milani Moisture Matte in Matte Naked*
      ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip in Trap


      L-R: Pink Truffle, Last Tango, Tiramisu, Rikugien, Nude Lust, Dolce Vita, Matte Naked, Trap:


      My favorites from this category are Dolce Vita (never absent from my purse), Matte Naked, and Trap. The obvious destash candidate is Rikugien, which is just too drying and frosty for me, but I think I'll give it one more chance. I'm no longer crazy about Pink Truffle either, but I have so little left that I might as well try to use it up. However, I reserve the right to toss it if I don't fall back in love with it.

      Browns (7): 

      Revlon Lacquer Balm in Coy*
      Topshop Lip Bullet in Motel (mini)
      Maybelline Color Sensational in Crazy for Coffee
      Revlon Matte Balm in Fierce
      Topshop Matte Lipstick in Boardroom
      NYX Simply Vamp Lip Cream in Enamored
      MAC Matte Lipstick in Antique Velvet*


      L-R: Coy, Motel, Crazy for Coffee, Fierce, Boardroom, Enamored, Antique Velvet:


      I bought all but two of my brown lipsticks in the past six months (!), which explains why most of them aren't showing much wear. Motel, Crazy for Coffee, and Fierce look almost identical in these swatches, but I swear they're different when worn. I'll probably get rid of Enamored (too drying) and Crazy for Coffee (too blah).

      Gold (1):

      Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Stained Gloss in Dune (discontinued)



      The Stained Glosses and original-packaging Lip Tars are currently $5 (reduced from $18) on OCC's website! I've been looking for a shimmery layering gloss, so I couldn't resist ordering Dune, which OCC describes as a "light beige with gold shimmer." The gloss does look beige in the tube, but the shimmer is far more pronounced than the base color in arm swatches and on the lips, so I decided to create a separate color category for Dune. (I also didn't want to retake the photos of my nude lip colors. Sue me.) The shimmer separates a bit in the tube, but it mixes with the base color as you squeeze it out. Full review to come!

      Finally, here's my tiny lineup (if you will) of lip liners, which I practically never use. L-R: Milani Nude, Barry M Plum, NYX Pumpkin.


      Here's the final count, pre-destash:

      Lipsticks: 56
      Glosses: 9
      Liners: 3
      Grand Total: 68

      Destashes:
      Maybelline Crazy for Coffee
      Maybelline Make Me Pink
      NYX Enamored
      Revlon Barcelona Nights
      Revlon Plum Velour
      Wet n Wild Purty Persimmon

      Which brings the final totals to...

      Lipsticks: 51
      Glosses: 8
      Liners: 3
      Grand Total: 61

      This was fun, if very time-consuming! I actually have fewer lipsticks than I thought: I was expecting a figure in the realm of 75. (No, this does not mean I'm allowed to go out and buy 25 new lipsticks now.) Let me know if you have questions about any of them!

      Comments

      Popular posts from this blog

      Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

      Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

      The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!