Stress-Fueled Impulse Purchase #1: Essie Leggy Legend

Guys, I miss beauty blogging. I miss it so much that in the week since I announced my semi-hiatus, I've worked on four different draft posts. I'll open an empty post, add a title, write a few sentences just to give myself the feeling of blogging, then save the post to my draft folder and go about my business. Pretty sad, I know.

I've noticed that in the last year or so, I've fallen into the trap of believing that my posts have to be a certain length, and that if they don't contain introspection, digression, and meta-wank, they're unworthy of a place on my blog. Well, screw that. Sometimes I just want to write a few words about something pretty, and sometimes a few words are all I have time for. I'd rather pop in now and then with a brief post than go a month between elaborate, long-winded essays. Digression is one of my worst writing habits, anyway: it's not something I should indulge regularly, even if a blog is more digressive by nature than a dissertation abstract for the academic job market (seriously, kill me). So let's see how this dashed-off, short-winded thing goes. I've finished most of my tasks for today, and now I want to introduce you to a gorgeous nail polish I ordered from Nordstrom in a particularly dark moment last week: Essie Leggy Legend.


Note to self: never order a single nail polish from Nordstrom again, because it will come in a gargantuan cardboard box packed with sheet upon sheet of paper, making you feel terrible about your environment-wrecking consumption habits. Look at this atrocity:




Leggy Legend is the namesake of Essie's Fall 2015 collection, created in collaboration with Rebecca Minkoff. The collection, with names like "Bell-Bottom Blues" and "With the Band," is meant to evoke the "iconic rock 'n' roll royalty" of the '70s. To me, though, Leggy Legend looks more 1670s than 1970s. If nail polish had existed in Restoration England, this is the shade Nell Gwynne would have worn.


The color shifts depending on the light, but I feel safe describing it as a dark orange-brown copper with tiny red flecks: very Baroque-courtesan chic, and very autumnal. Looking at it on my nails, I can almost forget that it was over 90° yesterday.


It's metallic, but it goes on smoothly without visible brushstrokes, and it's fully opaque in two coats. I do wish it dried more quickly and wore slightly longer—I've been wearing it for two days now, and have started to notice some minor tipwear—but I'm willing to put up with a lot for the sake of this color. Here it is on my nails in artificial light, and yes, that's one of Andrew Marvell's political satires from the 1660s in the background. No wonder I have royal mistresses on the brain.



In natural (slightly cloudy) light:


And a closeup to show the tiny red flecks:


Leggy Legend's only real drawback is that its beauty often distracts me from typing my job materials. Not bad for a stress-fueled impulse purchase. Not bad at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!