AB Goes to Toronto (What I'm Bringing + What Should I Do/Buy?)

How's that for a convoluted title? Anyway, I'm going to Toronto for the first time at the end of this week! I'll be presenting at a conference and will be in the city for a mere 48 hours, so I won't have much time for sightseeing (though I have a couple of meals planned with friends who have ended up there over the years). However, I know I have a few Canadian readers, and I'd love some advice on what to do in Toronto--I'll be staying downtown in the theatre district, but I might have time to go elsewhere.

What I'll almost certainly have a chance to do, however, is duck into a drugstore and look at all the Canadian makeup, so let me know if you have any recommendations! I'm planning to check out the Joe Fresh lipsticks, and I've heard good things about Annabelle and Lise Watier makeup as well. Overall, though, I'm pretty ignorant about Canadian brands. Please enlighten me! What is not to be missed? What should I skip entirely?

Also, since I usually pack my makeup at the last possible second, I thought I'd use this post to do some planning for once. I'm not going to be too strict about limiting my makeup stash, since a couple of extra eyeshadows and lipsticks won't make much difference in terms of weight, but in terms of dignity...well. I hope that making a list beforehand will keep me accountable. I'm planning to bring enough makeup for one cool-toned look, one warm-toned look, and one neutral look.

Eyeshadow: I know by now that I almost never feel like putting together elaborate eye looks while traveling. NARS Lhasa, ColourPop Bill, and theBalm Nude 'tude Palette will be more than enough for neutrals (I also use one of the Nude 'tude colors for brow powder). For a point of interest in this expanse of taupe, I'll throw in Kiko Stick Eyeshadow #16, a shimmery dark purple that I've been enjoying wearing on my outer lids and lower lashlines recently.

  
Blush: One easy-to-apply neutral cream (Illamasqua Zygomatic) and one bright warm powder (Sleek Life's a Peach).


Lipstick: I like having options, so I'm resigned to bringing more lipsticks than I'll end up wearing. To lend some interest to the black-and-gray dress I'll be wearing to deliver my paper, I'll wear a bright, long-wearing lipstick, either NARS Mysterious Red or NARS Angela. I'll also bring a few spring favorites for variety's sake (subject to change, of course): NARS Dolce Vita, Urban Decay Streak, and Maybelline Vibrant Mandarin. These three are also comfortable to wear on dry lips, which I'm sure I'll appreciate after my two flights in three days. Damn it, I hate flying, so why am I always getting myself into transatlantic relationships and international conferences?

Counter-clockwise from top: Streak, Vibrant Mandarin, Mysterious Red, Angela, Dolce Vita. Not that you need a guide: you've seen all five far too often on my blog.


Other: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla, CoverGirl spot concealer, Vaseline Rosy Lips, Palmer's Cocoa Butter lip balm, Milani clear brow gel, Fresh Citron de Vigne rollerball, CoverGirl LashBlast Length mascara, and whatever nail polish I'm wearing when I leave on Friday, plus Seche Vite topcoat. Currently on my nails is Essie Play Date, a medium blue-toned purple, but I know that it's chip-prone--as in, I applied it last night and it's already begun to wear off. I'll probably replace it tomorrow with a longer-wearing polish like Formula X Enigma. Or OPI Ate Berries in the Canaries, which also matches NARS Angela. Decisions, decisions.


Finishing this post means I can no longer put off finishing my conference paper. Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!