The Makeup Addict Tag

I was tagged by the inimitable Bellyhead, whose makeup collection outclasses mine by several orders of magnitude. Here we go, nonetheless!

1. Which product do you still keep buying more of despite having plenty in your collection?

Lipstick! I'm so, so bad about this. I have no trouble resisting blush or eyeshadow or even lip gloss, but lipstick exercises a special spell over me. In my defense, I rotate through my lipsticks pretty regularly and don't neglect many of them, but there's no denying that I have too many for one person with one mouth.


I also have a tiny weakness for nail polishes...


2. What's the one product you can't live without?

Concealer. I've been wearing it since my early teen years, when I didn't own any other makeup but lip balm. A good friend of mine once told me that she has a moral objection to concealer, because "it creates an unrealistic standard of perfection in the world." I have no moral objection to anything that anyone does with their own body (aesthetic objections are another story), but I do wish I could sally forth occasionally with nothing covering my blemishes and dark circles.

3. Favorite makeup brand?

NARS, for sure. I don't own a lot of NARS products, yet I rarely go a day without wearing one of them! Many of the NARS products I've bought since discovering the brand three years ago have attained holy-grail status for me: Radiant Creamy Concealer, Dolce Vita sheer lipstick, Mysterious Red lip pencil, Lhasa eyeshadow, Mata Hari blush. The only NARS product that really disappointed me was the Cinematic lipstick in Last Tango, from 2013's holiday collection. I ordered it without trying it on first, and it turned out to be browner and more drying than I'd expected. At least it taught me not to order makeup sight unseen.

Here's my entire NARS collection:


Clockwise from top: Mata Hari blush, sheer lipsticks in Dolce Vita and Flamenco, Cinematic lipstick in Last Tango, Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Mysterious Red, Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla, Coeur Battant blush, Lhasa eyeshadow (I've finally hit pan!), and Habanera duo eyeshadow.

4. How big is your makeup collection?

This question makes me wish there were a specific unit of measurement for makeup collections. Kevyns instead of Kelvins, perhaps? Until a more math-minded beauty addict figures that out, I'll just have to list how many of each kind of product I have.

Nail polishes: 77, not counting clear topcoats and base coats. I KNOW.
Lipsticks: 55.
Lip glosses: 9.
Lip liners: 2.
Eyeliners: 5.
Eyeshadow palettes: 1.
Eyeshadow singles, duos, and sticks: 16. 
Brow gel: 1.
Blushes: 7.
Concealers: 2.
Mascaras: 2.

The only obscenely huge parts of my collection are the lip products and nail polishes; everything else is fairly sane, I think. It's a large collection for a civilian (i.e. non-blogger), but in the beauty-blogging world it's probably about average...except for the lipsticks.

5. And how do you store it?

I don't know what I'll do when I move to an apartment without built-in shelves! One set of shelves in my bedroom houses my nail polishes, organized along the color spectrum.


Another set of shelves contains my eyeshadows and blushes; lip products (stored in two Kate Spade jewelry boxes, an empty gelato container, and a couple of small jars); brushes and eyeliners (also in jars); and perfumes. Books above and below; it'll be a long time until I have as many beauty products as books.


The lipsticks are arranged roughly by color: plums, berries, mauves, and cool reds in one Kate Spade box (bottom); corals, warm reds, hot pinks, and nudes in the other box (left); lipliners, liquid lipsticks, glosses, and chubby pencils in the gelato container (right). In the smaller jars (one at top, another not shown), I keep both new acquisitions and stuff that I'm thinking about purging.


The upper of the two shelves is at eye level, so I keep my mirror there and use it as my vanity. Someday I'll have a space to sit while I apply my makeup, but for now I have to stand. I've decorated this area with my favorite art postcards, some of them dating back to college. I use a small Kate Spade jewelry box to store barrettes, bobby pins, and combs, and an empty mini Diptyque jar for perfume samples.


6. How many items of makeup have you got in your handbag at the moment?

Two concealers (one for dark circles and one for spot concealing), two lip balms (Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula and Vaseline Rosy Lips), two lipsticks (Revlon Plum Velour and a custom purple lipstick from the Bite Beauty Lab), and a tin of Burt's Bees cuticle balm. I'm pretty good about not carrying around makeup I don't need.

7. If you could raid another blogger's stash, who would it be?

Kate of More Like Space! Her coloring and color preferences are very similar to mine, she has impeccable taste in lipstick, and I'd love to look through some of her older MAC collections. 

8. How long does your usual makeup routine take and how many products do you use?

About ten minutes. I don't always use all of the products listed below, but I use each of them at least a few times a week (every day, in the case of sunscreen and concealer). Here's the order in which I apply them:

1. Regular moisturizer, if my skin feels especially dry
2. Sunscreen
3. Two different concealers, for spots and dark circles
4. Clear brow gel and/or brown eyeshadow for filling in brows
5. 1-2 colors of eyeshadow
6. Mascara
7. Blush
8. Lipstick or gloss

9. Have you ever bought any makeup knowing you wouldn't use it?

Never! I do have a Pinterest board dedicated to makeup that's too pretty to use, but that's as far as I'll go at this stage in my makeup addiction. Granted, I have bought makeup knowing I wouldn't use it often (NYX Castle comes to mind), but I try to avoid such purchases.

10. Tag a few other makeup addicts to do this tag!

I've lost track of who's done the tag and who hasn't, so please do it if you feel inclined! It's a lot of fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!