The Summer Lovin' Tag

Hello from South Florida! I took this photo yesterday evening, toward the end of a thunderstorm.


It's hard to adhere to a regular blogging schedule when your location changes every few days, but I couldn't resist doing this meme from Liz at Beauty Reductionista.

1. Summer lipstick you're loving?

I've been enjoying sheer and semi-sheer reds, both cool and warm. And on days when I just can't be bothered with color makeup, I reach for my favorite (and recently repurchased!) MLBB. Left to right: Maybelline Vibrant Mandarin, Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple, NARS Flamenco, and NARS Dolce Vita.


Swatched in the same order:


2. Summer nail polish you're loving?

All Essie, as it happens! For my fingers, Lollipop (cherry-red jelly) and Fashion Playground (mint green with faint silver shimmer); for my toes, In the Cab-ana (swimming-pool blue).


3. Summer blush you're loving? Illamasqua cream blush in Zygomatic (I'm sure you knew I'd say that). I can't remember the last time I bothered with a powder blush in this sticky heat, and pink-beige Zygomatic goes with absolutely everything.


4. Favorite summer drink? Iced coffee by day, mojitos by night.

5. Favorite fake tan? The world of fake tans is a total mystery to me.

6. Favorite summer song? I like wistful, self-indulgent songs in the summer. Two of my favorite singers, La Roux and Lana Del Rey, have just released new albums, and I've been enjoying La Roux's "Let Me Down Gently" and LDR's "Old Money." But my all-time favorite summer song is Duran Duran's "Rio." 

7. Favorite summer accessory? With the exception of earrings, I'm not really an accessories person: lipstick is my favorite accessory! But I've been wearing these new earrings from Anthropologie almost every day.


8. Favorite summer fragrance? I don't wear much fragrance in the summer, but when I do, it's usually Lush's Tuca Tuca. It's a violet-based perfume, but sexier and less sweet than most violets (e.g. my favorite spring fragrance, L'Artisan Verte Violette). Tuca Tuca smells vaguely of incense, like something a Victorian spirit medium would wear.


I'd like to write more about fragrance on this blog, but I find it intimidating in the same way that I find writing about wine intimidating: one needs a level of expertise that I'm pretty sure I lack. I can tell you what scenes or memories a perfume evokes for me, or what notes I detect, but it's all so subjective that it might not help you at all. Plus, inexpert perfume writing often resembles a bad prose poem, and since my writing tends toward bad-prose-poem ornateness anyway...well, you understand my reservations. I like violet perfume and purple prose.

9. Summer book you're loving? What makes a book a "summer book"? Is it just a book you read in the summer? Anyway, the book I've enjoyed most this summer is My 1980s and Other Essays, by Wayne Koestenbaum, the middle-aged male version of me (neurotic, vain, pretentious, and given to obsessive regret).


Someday I'll do a makeup look based on that photo of Debbie Harry.

I've been recommending this collection to everyone in my life, even to people very unlikely to read it. I can't remember the last time I was such a wild-eyed zealot for a book. This is partially an egoistic thing (his flaws are exactly my flaws: it's incredible), but he also writes brilliantly about photography, poetry, pop culture, and figuring out adulthood in a society ravaged by AIDS. Read My 1980s for, if nothing else, the essay "Advice to the Young":

"I have turned literature, like every love, into a harness. The discursive situations I confront--audience, reader--hold me like a vise, and so I end up not speaking, rather than trying to begin the awful, necessary work of accommodating myself to that confinement, learning the dimensions of prison so I might transform it into a nursery."

10. What are you most excited to do this summer? 

In late August, my boyfriend and I are driving down Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles! I haven't been to LA since I was eight, and I don't think I've ever been on Highway 1. And before that, I'll have a few weeks in San Francisco to see my parents, catch up with old friends, and eat delicious food. (And finish my article. Damn it. Being in one place for more than four days at a time will be such a relief.)

Feel free to do this tag, if you'd like! I'd love to hear what you've been enjoying this summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiko Velvet Passion Matte Lipstick in 319 Chocolate

Reverse Lipstick Chronology #3: Urban Decay Roach

The Pacific Coast Highway and an Antidote to SoCal Dryness: Sephora Rose Mask!